The University of Sindh provides degree programming through the teaching Institutes/ Departments/ Centres functioning under the Faculties of Arts, Commerce & Business Administration, Education, Islamic Studies, Law, Natural Sciences, Pharmacy and Social Sciences.
The Programs ,their pre-requisites and requirements for the degree are specified as under:
Pre-Entry Test is mandatory for Admission to both Bachelor & Master’s Programs in all disciplines.
(1) The requirement for the 6- semester Bachelor (Hons.) degree under the Faculties of Arts (except Arts & Design), Islamic Studies and Education are 96 credit hours with curricula organised as under:
The 6- Semester Bachelor (Honours) Curricula comprise
|A.||General Education Requirements, 4 Semester, (14)|
|ii)||Pakistan Studies (1)|
|iii)||Islamic Studies or Ethics for Non-Muslim (1)|
|iv)||Urdu/ Sindhi/ Additional English in lieu of mother tongue(4)|
|B:||Elective courses- discipline- in which Majoring (Six semester)||(58)|
|C:||Supporting Minors: 2 courses (in each semester) , four Semester||(24)|
Total 96 credit hours
The two supporting Minor courses are to be offered from amongst the under- mentioned Group A & B, one from each group and excluding the discipline offered as Major. The students must give in writing their choice of minor subjects, within one week of commencement of classes, to the Head of the concerned department to which admitted:
|Group “A”||Group “B”|
|Mass Communication||Library & Information Science|
|Rural Development Studies||Women Development Studies|
|International Relations||Social Work|
|General History||Public Administration|
The general Pre-requisite qualification for admission to the Bachelor Hons. programs under these Faculties is H.S.C. with Arts/ Science/ Commerce ORHome Economics groups:
(2) For the 4-yr. (8- Semester) Bachelor degree offered by the teaching departments under the Faculty of Social Sciences the Course requirements are as under:-
- General Education Courses during 1-4 semester 32 C.H.
- i) Elective Major discipline courses 91 C.H.
- ii) supporting Minor courses (from Group A & B as listed above) 24 C.H.
TOTAL 147 CH
(3) For the 4-yr (8- Semester) Bachelors degree under the Faculty of Natural Sciences, the minimum requirements are 146 credit hours, with curricula organised as under:
The 8- Semester Bachelor Curricula comprise:- Weightage
- General Education requirements 4 Semester 32 C.H.
|i)||English (12)||ii)||Pakistan Studies (2)|
|iii)||Islamic Studies or Ethics (2)||iv)||General Maths (2+2+2=6)|
|v)||Environmetal Science (2)||vi)||Statistics & Computer Skills (2)|
|vii)||Civilization (2)||viii)||Economics/ Accounting (2)|
B: (i) Elective: Major discipline; Eight semester courses 60% C.H.
(ii) Supporting Minors, I & II courses 4 Semesters
to be offered in consultation with the 24% C.H.
Director/ Chairperson of the Institute/
Department in which majoring, as per combinations listed below
C: Free choice Elective subjects e.g., Fine Arts, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy
(Not yet implemented)
Total C.H. for 8-semester program (18 C.H. per semester) 146 C.H C.H.
Table: Major subjects and disciplines offered as supporting Minor Courses.
|Major||Minor-I||Minor-II (any one)|
|Botany||Zoology||Chemistry/ Bio-Chemistry/ Freshwater Biology/ Physiology|
|Chemistry||Physics||Zoology/ Botany/ Fresh Water Biology/ Physiology|
|Freshwater Biology & Fisheries||Zoology||Chemistry/ Bio-Chemistry/ Physiology|
|Genetics||Chemistry||Botany/ Physiology/ Microbiology/ Zoology|
|Geography||(For Pre-Engineering)||Chemistry/ Statistics|
|Geology||(For Pre-Medical)||Botany/ Chemistry/ Zoology|
|Geology||Applied Mathematics||Chemistry/ Physics/ Geography|
|Statistics||(For Pre-Medical)||Chemistry/ Botany/ Physics/ Zoology/ Microbiology|
|Mathematics||Applied Mathematics||Chemistry/ Geology/ Physics/ Geography|
|Microbiology||Physiology||Biochemistry/ Biotechnology/ Zoology|
|Physics||Applied Mathematics/Statistics||Chemistry/ Geology/|
|Physiology||Bio-Chemistry/ Microbiology||Biotechnology/ Fresh Water Biology/ Zoology|
|Psychology (For Pre-Medical)||Physiology||Bio-Chemistry/ Botany/ Zoology|
|Statisitics||(For Pre-Engineering)||Bio-chemistry/ Chemistry/ Physics|
|Statistics||Computer Application||Economics/ Business/ Public Administration|
|Zoology||Botany||Chemistry/ Fresh Water Biology/ Biochemistry/ Physiology|
Note: The students must give in writing their choice of minor subjects, within one week of commencement of classes, to the head of the concerned institute/ department to which admitted.
(3) The Faculty of Commerce & Business Administration offers 8- semester B.Com. (Hons.) & B.B.A. (Hons.) programs followed by 2-yr. M.Com. & M.B.A. (Hons.) programs., equivalent to MS/ M.Phil. in these disciplines.
- i) B.Com. (Hons.) 8- Semester program: curricula comprise:
- General Requirements
- General Education course
- Professional courses Requirements
including supporting Minor courses: 136 credit hours
- ii) The B.B.A. 8- semester program 146 credit hours