Archive for June, 2012
Faculty of Natural Sciences and Institute of Plant Sciences University of Sindh jointly organized a lecture on Flavonoids as Chemotaxonomic marker in flowering plants”.Tuesday, June 26th, 2012
Faculty of Natural Sciences and Institute of Plant Sciences University of Sindh jointly organized a lecture on Flavonoids as Chemotaxonomic marker in flowering plants” at the video conferencing room of the University atits Allama I.I.Kazi Campus on Tuesday.
Renowned plant scientist Professor Dr. S.Z Hussain Professor School of Biological Sciences Reading University U.K was guest speaker. The event was presided over by Dean Faculty of Natural Sciences of the University Prof. Dr. Muhammad Thair Rajput. The learned speaker explained the role of flavonoids in modern plant sciences. He said that these compounds are easily identified and can be used for the classification of plants apart from morphological characters. The scholar said that flavonoids are modern indicators in plant taxonomy. He called upon the students and researchers to conduct research on the flavonoids.
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Tahir Rajput said that flavonoids are important secondary constituent of plants. He said that these compounds have important role in modern taxonomy.
Noted scientist Prof. Dr. Muhammad Yar Khuhawer and Director Institute of Plant Sciences Dr. Basir Ahmed Araen also expressed their views.
The Controller of Examinations (Annual) University of Sindh has announced schedule of B.Ed and M.Ed non formal program annual examination 2011.Wednesday, June 20th, 2012
The Controller of Examinations( Annual) University of Sindh has announced on Tuesday that B.Ed and M.Ed non formal program annual examination 2011 will be conducted with effect from July,04. The concerned candidates are hereby advised to collect their admit cards from their respective study centers.
The Controller of Examinations has further notified that B.Ed and M.Ed non formal examinations will be conducted at centers i.e. Dr. N.A Baloch Model School, Elsa Kazi Campus Hyderabad, Government Boys Primary School Ghazi Brohi Village, Malir Town Karachi, Government Boys Degree College Sanghar, Government Comprehensive Higher Secondary School Mirpurkhas, Government High School Badin, Government High School Main Sindhi Elementary School Tando Allahyar, Government Girls High School Umerkot, Government Higher Secondary School Shahdadpur, Government Elementary College of Education Mithi, H. M. Khowaja Government Provincial High School Nawabshah, Government High School Thatta, Government High School-I, Matli, Government Girls High School Khadro, Government High School Khipro, Government Jamia Millia High School Tando Adam and Government Girls Degree College Hala.
Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah, Acting Vice Chancellor, University of Sindh visiting the semester examination.Tuesday, June 19th, 2012
Acting Vice Chancellor University of Sindh Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah on Tuesday visited various teaching institutes and departments and inspected the on going semester examinations. She visited the Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Institute of Business Administration and Institute of Commerce and inspected the arrangements for on going semester examinations there. The Controller of Examinations (Semester) Mr. Muhammad Ali Pathan was accompanied to acting Vice Chancellor.
The University of Sindh has approved to award 17 M.Phil and Ph.D degrees to the research scholars in various disciplines.Friday, June 8th, 2012
The University of Sindh has approved to award 17 M.Phil and Ph.D degrees to the research scholars in various disciplines in light of fulfillment of all requirements and also in the light of reports of the experts. The approval was made by 113th Advanced Studies and Research Board, meets under the Chairmanship of Acting Vice Chancellor Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah here on Thursday.
The meeting was attended by the Pro Vice Chancellors of the Campuses, Deans of the Faculties and nominated members of the Board. The meeting in the light of reports of experts approved to award 6 Ph.D degrees to scholars and 11 M.Phil degrees in various disciplines.
The meeting approved to award Ph.D degrees to Ikramul Haq Rajput and Muhammad Rafiq in Biotechnology, Ms. Maherunissa Panhwar in Geography, Ms. Zaibun-Nisa Memon in Zoology, Ghulam Ali Jareko in Development Studies, Wakil Ahmed in Islamic Culture and Abdul Aziz Mastoi in Chemistry. The meeting also approved to award M.Phil degrees to research scholars Syeda Asma Omer in Botany, Ms. Haseena Begum Kalhoro Environmental Sciences, Dil Nawaz Hakro in Information Technology, Shaheen Shah in Physical Chemistry, Muhammad Aslam Brohi in Pakistan Study, Ms. Fouzia Nazeer Solangi, Ms. Huma Wagan, Muhammad Ibraheem Magsi, Javaid Ahmed Baloch, Nasratullah Baloch and Ms. Haseena Saund in Zoology. Award of each M.Phil and Ph.D degree was decided in light of reports of experts and examiners presented by Deans of the Faculties concerned.The meeting was attended by Pro Vice Chancellors Dr. Rafia Ahmed Shaikh, Dr. Anwar Ali Shah, Dr. Imdad Ali Ismaili, Deans of the various Faculties Dr. Muhammad Tahir Rajput, Dr. Abida Tahrani, Dr.Abdullah Dayo, Jhamat Jethanand, Dr. Noor Afroz Khowaja, Dr. Anwar Ali Khan Pathan, Dr. Noor Muhammad Jamali, nominated Members Dr. Muhammad Siddique Kalhoro, Dr. Raja Muhammad Ilyas, Advisor Planning and Development Dr. Sarfraz Husain Solangi, Acting Dean Research Dr. Parveez Pathan, Controller of Examinations Muhammad Nawaz Narejo and others.
The Controller of Examinations ( Annual) University of Sindh has announced result of B.A Pass Part-II annual examination 2011.Friday, June 8th, 2012
The Controller of Examinations ( Annual) University of Sindh has announced result of B.A Pass Part-II annual examination 2011 here on Thursday. Total 11570 candidates appeared in the examination while 9511 candidates have declared successful while 1415 candidates declared fail in various subjects. A number of 705 candidates secured first class, 8465 candidates have secured second class and 341 candidates passed the examination in third class.
Progress Report of Reform Initiatives Put into Effect By Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah, Acting Vice-Chancellor University of Sindh, Jamshoro from May 01 to May 31, 2012.Thursday, June 7th, 2012
- Meeting with Honorable Syed Qaim Ali Shah, Chief Minister Sindh at Chief Minister’s House, Karachi to seek his help towards resolution of University problems including that of grant of land for 3rd Phase Housing Scheme for teachers and employees – May 22, 2012.
- Meeting with Mr. Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, Speaker Sindh Assembly with specific focus on speeding up release of funds and ironing out technical obstructions and expediting the pace of construction work to ensure earliest possible completion of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Chair and Convention Centre – May 22, 2012.
- Meeting with Syed Karim Pormani, Director, Cultural Centre, Islamic Republic of Iran,Hyderabad, and the consequent decision to develop Academic Linkage Program withUniversityofTehranand decision to set up Persian Chair and Cultural Centre atUniversityofSindh-May 17, 2012.
- Completion of ground work to organize International Conference on “Vision and Contribution of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto as a world Democratic Leader” in early July 2012.
- Selection Board Meeting which resolved long pending promotion cases -
May 13, 2012.
- Online Selection Board forSindhUniversityteachers abroad via video conferencing to spare them physical, financial and academic inconvenience -May 12, 2012.
- Submission of request to Honorable Governor Sindh/Chancellor Universities in Sindh for grant of permission to hold special meeting of Selection Board for appointment of meritorious professors in grade-22.
- Submission of requests to reverend Chief Justice High Court of Sindh for acceleration of process of the sad murder of Prof. Bashir Ahmed Channar.
- Sindh University Teachers Association (SUTA) called off strike and placed full faith in the person of Acting Vice-Chancellor to steer the University out of crisis – May 10, 12.
- Sindh University Employees Welfare Association (SEWA) called of strike and reposed trust in Acting Vice-Chancellor’s person -May 10, 2012.
- Frequent Meetings with Sindh University Teachers Association (SUTA) and Sindh University Employees Welfare Association (SEWA) office-bearers.
- Successful timely conduct of elections of Sindh University Employees Welfare Association (SEWA) in which 2400 (Twenty Four Hundred) employees exercise their democratic ballot right.
- Consistent correspondence and vis-à-vis request to Honorable Chief Minister Sindh, Esteemed Dr. Noshad A. Shaikh, Principal Secretary to Honorable Governor Sindh/Chancellor, Universities in Sindh and the other relevant officials to expedite grant of land for its onward lease under 3rd Phase Housing Scheme for Sindh University faculty and employees.
- Special inspection visit to assess progress of construction work of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Chair and Convention Centre.
- Purchase of metal detectors and other ultra-modern electronic devices for more efficient security measures.
- Meeting to Review Law and Order situation at the Campus with DIG and other high profile officials -May 02, 2012.
- Construction of “Shelter Rooms” at specified strategic points to facilitate security staff deployed therein.
- Convening of Special Meeting to review progress of construction work and utilization of funds for Sindh University Campus Dadu – May 28, 2012.
- Certificate Award Ceremony for youth completing six 6-month Skill Development Course in Library Science under Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Youth Development Program in collaboration with Ministry of Culture, Government of Sindh
-May 18, 2012.
- Decision to employ 25-30 youth of this course atUniversity ofSindh.
- Immediate implementation of 100% rise in Ph.D allowance.
- Commencement of preliminary work on setting-up of Campus Radio Station atUniversityofSindh, Jamshoro.
- Co-hosting of Provincial (SindhProvince) Launch Ceremony of “Social Audit of Local Governance and Delivery of Public Services 2011-12, upon completion of 3-month UNDP-sponsored research in collaboration with 08 (eight) other Universities inPakistan. The event was organized at Hotel Pearl Continental,Karachiwith Honorable Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, Speaker Sindh Assembly in the Chair -May 22, 2012.
- Visit of Sindh University Transport Section and subsequent meeting with over one hundred employees to ascertain their issues and problems and to motivate them to serve the University in a still better spirit -May 15, 2012.
- Inauguration of newly-constructed hall at the transport workshop to facilitate the University drivers and technical staffers -May 15, 2012.
- Organization of Blood Donation Camp by Bureau of STAGS, University of Sindh in collaboration with the Fatmid Foundation – May 07, 2012.
- The Cheque Handover Ceremony with reference to USAID grant of Rs.1.53 million as a fist tranche for construction of Department of Teacher Education at Faculty of Education, University of Sindh at Hyderabad – May 14, 2012.
- Seminar on the theme of “Pakistan’s Foreign Policy & Its Dilemma” with Madam Mehtab Akbar Rashdi as a Guest Speaker -May 28, 2012.
- Seminar on “External Influence on Public Policy” with Prof. Parveen Agha, Former Federal Secretary, Ministry of Women Development as keynote Speaker -May 15, 2012.
- Seminar “The Dynamics of Diplomacy” with Prof. Dr. Tanvir Khalid as a Keynote Speaker – May 7, 2012.
- Inter-department Debate Competition in English, Urdu and Sindhi organized by Bureau of Students Guidance, Co-curricular and Career Counseling -
May 15, 2012.
- StudyToursby various departments/Institutes, Internship Assistance to Students of Faculty of Commerce & Business Administration, Farewell Parties to outgoing Batches of Students at various departments / Institutes and Students’ Week Celebration in the Department of International Relations.
- Timely declaration ofExternalCollegeside examinations.
- Allocation of Rs.2.00 million to Transport Section for repair and renovation of University buses to facilitate students.
- Communication with D.I.G (Traffic) Police Hyderabad to deploy contingent of traffic police at Main Single Entrance and Exit Point for University buses (brought into effect by security measures) to regulate zero-hour tidal wave/bottleneck flow of buses to avert accident prospect in the interest of precious lives of students and staff.
- One-week career counseling workshop for Teachers in collaboration with Ministry of Youth Affairs, Government of Sindh and a non-profit organization “The Capacity Builders atHyderabad”.
- Provision of Generator, Sound System and Rs.10,000/- Award Funds forSyedPanahAliShahModelSchool,UniversityofSindh, Jamshoro.
- 03 (Three) Scientists of the University namely Prof. Dr. M. Iqbal Bhanger, Prof. Dr. Tasneem Gul Kazi, and Dr. Hassan Imran Afreedi were honored with “Research Productivity Award in “A category” by the Prime Minister of Pakistan.
- Inspection visit of Preston Institute of Management Science & Technology of (PIMSAT)Karachias member of the Charter Inspection & Evaluation Committee, Government of Sindh,Karachi-May 03, 2012.
- Visit by Mr. Paolo Giraudi, Chief Executive Officer, ENI Pakistan–
May 09, 2012.
- Meeting to functionalize Sindh University C.N.G station which was non-functional for the past two years and is incurring an expense of Rs. one million per month despite its non-functional status -May 23, 2012.
- Meeting with the entire staff (80-90 employees) of Registrar with a view to explore firsthand their concerns, appraise their performance and to give them direction for improved delivery of public service -May 18, 2012.
- Meeting with the Dean and all Academic Heads of Faculties of Social Sciences, Arts, Education, Commerce & Business Administration, Islamic Studies, Pharmacy and Law with the specific focus of getting to know and resolve on priority basis the problems various departments/Institutes within the Faculty were facing thereof – May 02, 08 & 09, 2012 respectively.
- 5th (fifth) Meeting of the Deans Committee held -May 10, 2012.
- Meetings with contractors/Firm Heads for settlement of their dues and restoration/acceleration of construction projects at several university sites -
May 16, 2012.
- Public Accounts Committee Meeting: Acting Vice-Chancellor’s Personal Appearance -May 24, 2012.
- Meeting with the senior-most university faculty with a view to help them move over to the next higher grade prior to their round-the-corner retirement -
May 18, 2012.
- Personal Hearing to several University Employees whose cases were pending for long -May 18, 2012.
- Cricket Match between Sindh University Teachers Association (SUTA) Teams with a view to offshoot stress situation which otherwise prevailed at the campus in the backdrop of Prof. Channar’s tragic murder and the consequent turmoil that engulfed the University -May 25, 2012.
- Participation in Send-off Reception organized by USAID Pakistan at Serena Hotel Islamabad, given in favor of US Study Tour nominees including those of University of Sindh Jamshoro – May 31, 2012.
- Interest-free loans to Faculty, Officers and Employees for Purchase of Laptops.
- Guest of Honor at Excellence Award Ceremony at Hayat’s Girls College Hyderabad as a woman Vice-Chancellor to inspire girl students to emulate career like hers.
- Cash Award of Rs.10,000/- for each of 18 research papers to 10 research scholars of the University who had authored those papers –May 02, 2012.
- Installation of 60 KV/48 KW Generator atAdministrationBuilding,UniversityofSindh, Jamshoro.
- Concert at Youth Hostel,UniversityofSindh, Jamshoro –May 7, 2012.
- Shifting of Sindh University Press from Old to New Campus to ensure opportune start of construction of USAID-sponsored state-of-the art building for Department of Teacher Education at Faculty of Education,Hyderabad.
- Appointment of a resident professor as Chairman Residential Colony to maximize Chair availability and to ensure that a resident Chair will be better able to understand and resolve relevant matters.
- Appointment of a senior professor as Advisor Planning and Development to straighten out issues related to scholarship award to University Faculty.
Details of Improvement Measures Taken by Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah Acting Vice-Chancellor University of Sindh, Jamshoro from 30th March to 30th April, 2012.Thursday, June 7th, 2012
- Display of determination coupled with consistent courage and endeavor with which the University Administration pursued the case of late Professor Bashir Ahmed Channar. This effort started with getting Judicial Commission constituted and a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) by Government of Sindh formed; two developments that have culminated into the identification of a few and arrest of one suspect
- Decision that the cases of retired officers will not be recommended for further extension in their contract to honor the demand of Sindh University Teachers Association (SUTA)
- Putting into place efficient security system at the campus. The said system has brought into effect installation of iron-stop-bars, barriers, tremendous raise in security check posts, increased deployment of security guards, purchase of metal detectors, placement in local press/newspapers tender for hiring of private security, round-the-clock vigil, allocation of newly-purchased motor bikes with instructions for all-time patrolling, evening/night hours deployment of security guards, enhanced patrolling by Police and Rangers, installation of high-powered search lights, establishment of independent Directorate of Security, Dr. Shah’s personal random surprise visits on daily basis, introduction of student identity cards with sling-ribbons with a different color in case of each Faculty, holding of regular review meetings, launching of campaign to remove political projection posters/ banners/ hoardings, appointment of senior experienced teachers as Dean Student Affairs and Director Student Affairs, creation of a constant coordination loop among Directorate of Security, Office of Students Affairs the District Police Jamshoro and the local Pakistan Rangers post with a collaborative approach and integrated effort to obtain maximum security output. Moreover, the purchase and installation of walk-through Electronic Gates and construction of shelter Rooms for the Security Guards at select points is well underway
- Regular security and law and order review meetings with Inspector General of Police Sindh, Deputy Inspector General of Police Hyderabad, District Police Officer, Jamshoro andWing Commander,PakistanRangers,Hyderabad
(The meetings with Police and Rangers officials were brought into effect with the specific agenda of improving law and order situation at the campus)
- Ingenuous invigilation of University land/estate as the Directorate of Estate brought a number of incidents of illegal encroachment of the university land to the attention of the Acting Vice-Chancellor who on contingent footing got all those encroachments demolished with the help of police
- Financial Assistance to two deceased students through appeal to University faculty to donate by option Rupees One Thousand each. These students are
Mr. Deen Muhammad Dal and Mr. Abdul Ghafoor Noohani. Both of them had expired on account of an armed conflict at the Campus a month ago
- Request letter to the Chief Justice Sindh High Court to expedite probe process of the sad murder of Prof. Bashir Ahmed Channar
- Request letter to Chief Minister Sindh to grant personal audience at the earliest so that the undersigned could discuss with him certain important University problems including the 3rd phase housing scheme for teachers and employees
- Request letter to HESCO Chief so that the undersigned or her team could convince him reduce load-shedding hours
- Update letters to civil society, intelligentia, intellectuals, executives, thinkers and all well-wishers ofUniversityofSindhrequesting their intervention (when required) assistance and guidance
- Request letter to Honorable Governor Sindh/Chancellor, Universities in Sindh for grant of permission to hold Academic Convocation at the end of May
- Sending into session meetings of Anomaly Committee to resolve long-pending promotions of the University employees
- Registrar’s visit in person to the Governor’s House scheduled on Wednesday, May 02, 12012 to resolve remaining cases of anomaly (employees) and hardship (teachers)
- Announcement of Selection Board Session/Meeting onMay 11-12, 2012to take up 2007 onwards mature pending cases for appointment in various teaching cadres
- 3rd & 4th Meetings of Deans Committee held on 31st March & 14th April, 2012 respectively
- Seminar to mark 1st Anniversary of Dr. N. A. Baloch held on 5th April, 2012
- Eidul Miladul Nabi S.A.W.W celebration at the Camus held on 6th April, 2012
- Book Fair at Allama I. I. Kazi Central Library held on 10th April, 2012
- National Conference on Tassawaf and Peace held on 16th & 17th April, 2012
- Meeting of Vice-Chancellors of Public Sector Universities/Institutes at Sindh Governor’s House, Karachiheld on 26th April 2012
- Meeting in due rotation with the Chairperson/Directors of each Faculty with a specific focus on active reception and immediate redressal of their problems
- Two high profile, highly productive and result-oriented meetings with Dr. Nazir Ahmed Sangi, Vice-Chancellor Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU) as a result of which the request of Allama Iqbal Open University toUniversityofSindh, to establish Dr. N. A. Baloch Regional Campus at Jamshoro is now at a final stage of approval
- Meeting with Ms. Seema Kamil, Group Head, Habib Bank Limited to seek better services and incentives for the University
- Visit/Inspections of various Private Universities/Degree Awarding Institutes in connection with the Charter of Inspection and Evaluation Committee, Government of Sindh at Karachi
- 3rd UNDP Peer Review Group Meeting at Islamabad held on 16th April, 2012
- Board of Governors Meeting of National Institute of PakistanStudies, Quaid-i-AzamUniversity, Islamabadheld on 17th April, 2012
- Advertising of posts of Directors of Pakistan Study Centre, Area Study Centre Far East & South East Asia and Sindh Development Study Centre with a view to seek the best and most competent human resource available instead of conveniently casting the same away in charge of either less qualified or non-relevant people
- Grant of cash award of Rupees 10,000/- per research publication to the University faculty with a view to promote research culture at the campus
- Decision to confer Honoris Causa (Honorary Degree) upon Noted Intellectual
Mr. Muhammad Ibrhaim Joyo and Posthumous Degree upon Eminent Scholar Dr. N. A. Baloch Sahib
- Formation of a committee for express repair and maintenance of buildings of Teaching Departments/Institutes that lay neglected for long and call for immediate attention
- Appointment of sizable number of Teaching Assistants at various Departments/Institutes as a “quick-fix” solution to sustain shortage of faculty due to long pending meetings of Selection Board; which will now be taking place on May 11-12, 2012 and onwards
- Daily disposal of all official mail
- Encouraging Departmental Seminars and workshops
- Expediting process of launching of Associate Degree and Dual Degree Programs at the University affiliated institutions
- Approval for establishment of Shah Mardan Shah “Earlier Pir Pagaro” Corner at theInstituteofSindhology
- Pledge of assistance regarding establishment of Shaheed Sibghatullah Shah University Campus at Sanghar
- Frequent meaningful engagement with various individuals/groups/ delegations of Young Sindh University Teachers in response to their request for personal hearing to expedite scholarship funding/awards
- Grant of special study loans to the teachers who have already exhausted their funding but are at the last leg of completion of their doctoral studies abroad
- Revival of release of funds for the purpose of repair and maintenance work at the University residential colony
- Appointment of a Senior Professor with clean track record, credibility and competence as Registrar
- 100% raise in assessment remuneration rates
- Generous nomination of teachers and officers for refresher courses, trainings, workshops, conferences and symposia despite continuing financial crunch, and strict limitations
- Grant of increased budgetary allocations to Bureau of Students Tutorial, Guidance Service and Co-curricular activities to encourage healthy and creative environment at the Campus
- Settlement of complex issues of outstanding bills of various contractors/firms
- Special efforts for timely declaration of results to enable out going students to avail themselves of job opportunities in the market/industry
- Decision to pay salaries during summer vacation to one-year contract faculty
- Sizeable prompt supply of furniture, infrastructural facilities, paper, stationery items and other such regular and contingent material to teaching departments and administrative offices
- Completion of preliminary work for award of final Foreign Scholarship Award to remaining qualifying teachers. The award is due in a week’s span
- Repair and renovation of various boys and girls hostels blocks
- Preparation of crash plan for repair, renovation and face-lift work of almost all teaching departments/institutes
- Invitation of tenders for construction of security check-posts at various prominent places at the campus
- Earmarking of HEC grant of Rupees 20 million for award of honoraria for research publications by teachers in post July HEC approved research journals
- Constitution of committee to frame rules for award of honoraria of Rs.10,000/- to faculty whose research paper publishes in Post-July 2011 HEC approved research journal
- Invitation of proposals for award of funds for 6 months to 02 year’s research projects under HEC funding
The Governor Sindh who is Chancellor of the Universities in Province has appointed Professor Dr. Anwar Khan Pathan as Dean Faculty of Islamic Studies University of SindhThursday, June 7th, 2012
The Governor Sindh who is Chancellor of the Universities in Province has appointed Professor Dr. Anwar Khan Pathan as Dean Faculty of Islamic Studies University of Sindh for a period of 3 years with immediate effect. The Registrar of the University of Sindh has issued a notification in this regard here on Wednesday.