Details of Efforts Made by Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah Acting Vice-Chancellor University of Sindh, Jamshoro February 21st to March 29th, 2012.
- Immediate withdrawal of Show Cause Notices to Sindh University Teachers’ Association (SUTA) and Sindh University Employees Welfare Associate (SEWA) office bearers on priority basis through urgent personal efforts and intervention.
- Unconditional reinstatement of Dismissed Faculty (second rare precedent in the history of University of Sindh, Jamshoro) brought into effect in exercise of the special powers vested in Governor Sindh/Honorable Chancellor, Universities in Sindh as a result of instant, sincere, and stringent personal interest and endeavors of Prof. Dr. Parveen Shah in the interest of return of peace, harmony and normalcy at campus; and better working relationship between faculty and administration.
- Four consecutive detailed, productive and result-oriented meetings with SUTA and SEWA representatives in which several issues have been resolved.
- Declaration of Saturday as a Working Day on the demand of SUTA and SEWA.
- Incessant meaningful meetings with the DPO Jamshoro, DSR Rangers Jamshoro, D.I.G Hyderabad, I.G.P Sindh, and Wing Commander Pakistan Ranges all at different points of time, with a view to improve in visible terms the law and order situation at the Campus.
- Decision to give Final Scholarship Award Letters to the second batch of young faculty who stand clear in terms of GRE and the other requisite formalities under HEC Scholarship scheme under the title Strengthening of University of Sindh Project. 37 out of total 69 scholarships have already been availed of. The remaining faculty has been awaiting arrival of the second installment of funds, which has been fully expedited. This issue had been pending for a considerably long time.
- Placement of Dr. Azhar Ali Shah, President SUTA as member on Scholarship Award Committee.
- Palpable participation and effective representation of University of Sindh at Vice-Chancellors’ Committee Meeting at Higher Education Commission, Islamabad.
- Four Meetings & Visit/Inspections of various Private Universities/Degree Awarding Institutes in connection with the Charter Inspection and Evaluation Committee, Govt. of Sindh at Karachi.
- Five Deans’ Committee Meetings which helped resolve important academic and administrative issues of permanent importance.
- Special meeting with 15 young teachers belonging to Faculty of Social Sciences; and accordance of immediate practical assistance to them in award of scholarships.
- Emergency meeting of Sindh University Syndicate.
- Meeting to discuss “Assessment, Result and Implementation Plan Summary.
- Meeting of Board of Governors of Sindhi Language Authority.
- Board of Governors and Selection Board meeting of Centre of Excellence in Analytical Chemistry, University of Sindh, Jamshoro (due since last one and a half year).
- Several Meetings with contractors regarding issues of outstanding payment focusing on providing them succor.
- Medical Reimbursement Committee Meeting to sort out long standing cases of reimbursement to faculty and employees.
- 04 meetings with Advisor to Governor/Chancellor, Universities in Sindh at Governor’s House, Karachi to seek his assistance in restoration of peace on Campus and to resolve problems of teachers and employees.
- Grant of special loan to faculty teachers and employees pursuing Ph.D abroad.
- Publication of Tender for recruitment of private security Personnel for deployment at all teaching departments on insistent demand of SUTA.
Apart from these initiatives, the University Administration has also been able to take the following effective security measures:
- The entrance of all private vehicles on the campus has been banned.
- An immediate ban has been imposed on vehicles with tinted glasses.
- Increased Security Personnel has been deployed on all major entry points and it has been provided with metal detectors and other electronic gadgets.
- Zigzag road iron stoppers/Barriers have been placed at various important points to regulate and monitor movement of all vehicles for security check.
- Obstruction trenches have been excavated and put into effect to cover the surrounding open spaces that lead to campus area to avert infiltration.
- Plan for construction of compound wall along-with installation of Main Gates, at prominent places is in progress. Honorable Chief Minister Sindh and Honorable Governor Sindh will be approached and will be requested for funding.
- A separate parking lot for private vehicles, well away from classes/academic buildings is being built in the interest of better security.
- Security men have been equipped with new efficient weaponry along with sufficient ammunition.
- Hiring of Private Security Personnel is being contemplated and tenders have been initiated from various registered security companies in this regard.
- The number of check posts has been multiplied.
- The Guardrooms at check points is to be constructed shortly.
- The number of security guards at various check points has been enhanced.
- Posting of a permanent D.S.P on campus to keep vigil and immediate respond to emergency situation has been put into place.
- Increased patrolling, policing and general vigilance has been introduced.
- The number of policemen has also been raised.
- Single entry and exit points to and from the campus.
- Separate single entry and exit points for University faculty, official/visitors and students respectively.
- Students’ body-search/through frisking before allowing them to enter academic buildings.
In addition, I am pleased to communicate that Dr. Shah has also been very active in terms of patronage and support of significant co-curricular events; which she has been able to encourage by making timely financial grants and by ensuring her presence in all these programs.
Some such significant month-long events/programs are listed below for your ready reference and kind perusal:
- Inter-Department NAAT Recitation Competition organized by Bureau of Students Guidance, Counseling Tutorial and Co-Curricular Activities (STAGS).
- Thesis Project Display by Final Year Students at the Institute of Information and Communication Technology (IICT).
- Orientation Day for Freshmen 2012.
- Workshop on the Importance of Environmental Awareness at Centre for Rural Development Communication (CRDC).
- Thesis Project Display Exhibition at Institute of Art & Design, University of Sindh, Jamshoro.
- Workshop on “New Genetic Resources for Wheat Improvement” at Institute of Plant Sciences, University of Sindh, Jamshoro.
Apart from the above Dr. Shah has accelerated her efforts in terms of appropriate adjustments and proper placement of key administrative positions. This endeavor is guided and governed by the simple philosophy of “Right man at the Right Place” whosoever he or she may be; and to whichever group of teachers or officers he or she may belong to. What actually and ultimately counts in this context is competence and merit. In fact I have also, of late, been interviewing several officers and faculty to this effect.
In addition, Dr. Parveen Shah has allowed open audience to those who wish to see her in her office albeit on one-on-one regular calendared schedule as a token of respect to the comfort and privacy of the visiting teachers, employees, students and the other such ladies and gentlemen. Moreover, she strictly maintains regular presence in her office throughout the day and dispose of all mail on urgent basis in the public interest.
As informed by her recent surprise/random visits to the campus, she feels encouraged to observe that life has come back on the campus. She was glad to behold groups after groups of students walking in and out of their classrooms/laboratories, hanging out in the corridors, conversing with another in a care-free, cool manner, treading University tracks, thronging fun and food outlets; and involving in curricular and co-curricular activities.