The University of Sindh has announced that as per Higher Education Commission’s regulations for M.S/ M.Phil admission 2012 in various disciplines in the University GRE( General)/ GRE-GAT (Subject) Test valid result will be required. The University will not conduct any pre entry test for M.S/M.Phil/Ph.D programs. Aspiring candidates are advised to take up the test being offered by National Testing Services (NTS) in July/October or August/November 2011 to qualify for admissions in disciplines of Arabic, English, Sindhi, Urdu, Commerce and Business Administration, Education, Islamic Culture, Economics, Mass Communication, Public Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations, Biochemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Geology, Information Technology, Mathematics, Computer Science, Fresh water Biology and Fisheries, Microbiology, Physiology, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Physics, Statistics and Zoology.
Archive for June, 2011
The Vice Chancellor University of Sindh Prof. Dr. Nazir A.Mughal has visited Sindh University Boys Hostels on Tuesday to inspect the on going renovation work.Wednesday, June 29th, 2011
The Vice Chancellor University of Sindh Prof. Dr. Nazir A.Mughal has directed the provost boys hostels to launch indoor games in Boys Hostels and assign responsibility to top scorer as well as senior students as wing Monitor in boys hostels with incentives for their training and involvement in hostel affairs. He directed during his visit of Sindh University Boys Hostels on Tuesday to inspect the on going renovation work. The Registrar Dr. Muhammad Siddique Kalhoro, Dean Students Affairs Prof.Nizamuddin Halepoto, Provost Prof. Ghulam Ali Jareko, Director Students Affairs Prof.Bashir Ahmed Channar, Director Finance Mushtaq A.Memon and other concerned officials were accompanied to Vice Chancellor. The Vice Chancellor inspected the ongoing renovation work of the Lal Shahbaz Hostel, Federal Hostel and International Hostel. After visit of various parts and due to damaged parts of Lal Shahbaz Hostel, the Vice Chancellor directed the Engineering wing to prepare estimate for complete renovation of the Lal Shahbaz Hostel. While visiting the Federal Hostel, the Vice Chancellor ordered for new furniture in Dinning Hall and TV halls and launching of indoor games with proper arrangements. The Vice Chancellor also visited the International Hostel and inspected the renovation work there and advised the Hostel management to plan properly for the renovation of hostels from time to time for their maintenance and implement with plan stage wise. He also directed the hostel management that from the next year hostel accommodation must consider as per capacity of hostel rooms that administration can manage facilities accordingly. The Vice Chancellor advised the hostel management to display hostel rules and regulations at notice boards at main gate of every hostel that students should follow strictly and if in case of violation of rules and regulations the hostel management must take action in light of rules and regulations. He said that there is need to involve the students in hostel affairs and top scorer as well as senior students may be appointed wing monitor with incentives that they can work and get training. The Vice Chancellor during his visit also approved to provide LCD TV at every hostel and directed the Purchase Store Section to provide Mirrors at bathrooms of every hostel. During visit of TV hall and dinning hall, the Vice Chancellor directed the Engineering wing for complete renovation and color with new furniture. The Vice Chancellor also appreciated arrangements for the renovation work initiated by the Provost Boys Hostel Dr. Jareko and his team and said that renovation work must continue.
As per directive of the Vice Chancellor to strictly observe the Higher Education Commission’s quality Criteria of pre-qualification of NTS GRE/GAT General/Subject Test for admission to MS/MPhil/Ph.D programs in the University, applicats/candidates for Ms/MPhil/PhD admission in the Spring Semester 2012 are informed that GRE (General/Gre-Gat (subject) Test valid result will be required. The University will NOT conduct any Pre-Entry Test for MS/MPhil/PhD Programs.
Aspiring candidates if not yet qualified are advised to take up the Test being offered by National Testing Service in July/ October or August/ November 2011 to Qualify for admission. (for details of Test program www.nts.org.pk).
The Vice Chancellor, University of Sindh is pleased to appoint Mr. Muhammad Hussain Shaikh, Advisor, Planning and Development Cell, University of Sindh as a Liason Officer for Benazir Bhutto Shaheed Youth Development Program for Library Training Course for Matriculate Students (un-employed) under BBSYDP project 201 for the period of six (06) months from the date of launching of project.
The Higher Education Commission has selected Dr. Muhammad Tahir Rajput a Professor and scholar of Institute of Plant Science and Dean Faculty of Natural Sciences University of Sindh for Best University Teacher Award 2010.Tuesday, June 28th, 2011
The Higher Education Commission has selected Dr. Muhammad Tahir Rajput a Professor and scholar of Institute of Plant Science and Dean Faculty of Natural Sciences University of Sindh for Best University Teacher Award 2010. In a letter sent by the Higher Education Commission has informed to Sindh University Vice Chancellor on Saturday.
This award consist a certificate and Rs. 100,000/- will be conferred upon the scholar in a commemorative award ceremony scheduled to be held on July 12, in HEC auditorium at Islamabad. The Vice Chancellor, Teachers and administration of the University of Sindh have congratulated to Dr. Rajput for his selection for best University Teacher award.
The Governor Sindh/Chancellor University of Sindh has appointed Dr. Imdad Ali Ismaili as Pro Vice Chancellor Sindh University Campus Mirpurkhas.Tuesday, June 28th, 2011
The Governor Sindh/Chancellor University of Sindh has appointed Dr. Imdad Ali Ismaili Professor of the Institute of Information and Communication Technology (IICT) as Pro Vice Chancellor Sindh University Campus Mirpurkhas for a period of two years. Consequently Prof.Dr. Muhammad Qasim Bughio Pro Vice Chancellor of Campus has been relieved with immediate effect. The Registrar of University of Sindh has issued a notification in this regard in pursuance of notification of the Governor Sindh/Chancellor.
The Vice Chancellor University of Sindh Prof. Dr. Nazir A.Mughal Presiding over a high level meeting on Friday.Tuesday, June 28th, 2011
The Vice Chancellor University of Sindh Prof. Dr. Nazir A.Mughal has urged upon the University teachers that it is responsibility of the University to adopt strictly University academic culture and he directed all concerned sections to provide internet facility to the students before commencement of new classes after completion of ongoing summer vacation. Presiding over a high level meeting on Friday, the Vice Chancellor said that time has come that we must provide all required facilities to our students that they enjoy and dedicate their time for the higher education. He directed the engineering wing, maintenance section and also concerned departments to complete the whitewash, necessary repair of the various sections including bathrooms before completion of the on going summer vacation. The meeting was attended by the Deans of the faculties, Directors of the Institutes and heads of various administrative sections which include Registrar Dr. Muhammad Siddique Kalhoro, The Vice Chancellor said that internet at the hostel rooms in coming days would be made available as soon as University receives budget fiscal year 2011-2012 but in first instance before commencement of new session the internet facility will be made available to the hosteller students in nearby department to the hostels . In this connection the meeting after discussion decided that internet facility to hostler students would be made available at the Center of Pure and applied Geology in a big hall will be setup with number of new PC’s with facility of internet will be installed. The meeting further decided that more PC’s would also be provided at the Central Library so that more students can be accommodate to have the access to internet in morning and evening sessions apart from internet facility at their concerned teaching institutes and departments. The meeting also discussed the decisions of the monitoring committee and appreciated cooperation extended by the various political parties. The meeting in the light of recommendation of monitoring committee approved
the whitewash of teaching departments and construction of wall of democracy for the students at three sites located at Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Natural Sciences and hostels main entrance that the students can paste their posters, pamphlets instead of various teaching departments. The Vice Chancellor directed the engineering wing to complete the project within 10 days. It was also decided that the information in this regard through a letter will be pass on to the members of the monitoring committee. The meeting has agreed on setup of hostel management committee, allotment of hostel accommodation on purely merit basis and decided that measures would be taken for strict security at hostels that no one can enter in hostels without hostel card. The meeting also discussed the requirements of various sections and decided that in first instance within a no time a survey would be conducted at various teaching departments, hostels to determine the urgent need which includes water coolers as well as renovation of the bathrooms. The meeting has also discussed the supply of water in all hostels in vigilant manner and availability of quality food in hostels. The meeting while discussing requirements also approved to provide the water coolers to various teaching institutes and departments to meet the need of drinking water for the students at departments concerned. The meeting also reviews the facility of transport for the hostel students in evening time and decided to be checked by responsible officials from time to time.
The meeting approved to setup security check at the three main entrances of the campus after 11.am and decided that a complete list of vehicles of employees would be prepared and vehicle stickers would be provided to them. The meeting has discussed the opening up of faculty club to have lunch facility and Book Shop at the campus. The Vice Chancellor on this occasion floated idea for setup of hospital for medical facility and medical officers male and female availability during 24 hours. The Vice Chancellor directed the maintenance section to develop greenery at the main campus road and focus on beautification of the campus.
It has been brought to my attention that my recent professional activities which were approved by the Chancellor have not been shared with enthusiasm by faculty members/ staff of the University and the nature of International involvement in Conferences abroad has not been taken in true spirit.
You may like to know that:
- I was selected by the Government Pakistan on the recommendation of United Nations General Secretary through the Ambassador of Pakistan Mr. Abdullah Hussain Haroon to participate at the United Nation Sessions on Thematic Debate on International Migration and Development, New York May 16 to 19, 2011. I was advised to address the UN session as leader of panel Two to share the policies of the Government of Pakistan (A copy of speech is available at the library and on the website for perusal).
- The UN conference was attended by 165 delegates representing members of United Nations. It was for the first time that Vice Chancellor of the public University was nominated by the Government of Pakistan, to express his voices from academic point of view and learn the processes of International Law.
- Pakistan welcomes the debate of the UN General Assembly and related forum to facilitate dialogue between Countries of origin and destination of different regions with a view to resolve the above issues in the larger interest of all stake holders.
- Pakistan being a manpower exporting country has more than 5.5 M emigrants across the globe and attaches higher importance to this issue under discussion.
- There is no denying the fact that Pakistani migrants play a significant role to boost the national economy of Pakistan. On one hand, it reduces the pressure of unemployment in Pakistan and on the other hand their valuable foreign exchange remittances benefit the Government of Pakistan in facing the pressure of foreign debit and in increased foreign exchange reserve. The contribution of immigrants can be judged by the fact that foreign remittance has increased more than ten times during last 10 years. During the year 1999-2000, the amount remitted by the overseas Pakistanis was only to the extent of $ 984 Million whereas amount remitted during the financial year 2009-2010 was $ 8916 million.
- Pakistan is deeply concerned with different issues faced by our migrant workers and desire resolving them at the UN level. These issues are health insurance, human rights issues, denial to enjoy rules and benefits, lack of rights, social security, the denial of legal opportunities to the migrants, restriction on border management, counter trafficking, return and reintegration. Thus migration management remains a major challenge for Pakistan Government. These unsolved problems have forced Pakistan to shift its manpower resources of cheep and unskilled labor export from the Middle East to new opportunities, to South Korea, Malaysia and Singapore.
The second International Conference attended by me was equally important___ “Tearing down the Ivory Tower: Building the engaged Universities” on June, 13-20, 2011 at Madrid, Spain”.
1. The Talloires Network leadership Conference brought together more than one thousand higher education leaders from 65 Countries, including Rectors, Vice Chancellors, Presidents, Ministers of Education, regional network leaders as well as philanthropic leaders. Together they discussed the future of civic engagement, Community outreach and social responsibility in higher education.
2. The major aim of the conference was to explore how to deepen the impact of community engagement in the higher education sector. Several internationally renowned speakers shared their innovative ideas on citizenship, the role of university in taking up pressing social issues, partnership with the NGO sector and more.
3. The Session’s topics covered technology and online organizing creating policy environments to support engagement program design and evaluation, community partnership and more.
4. The Conference conducted plenary session and break out session organized under the above subjects. Participants also shared work of their Universities engaged with their peers in various regions around the world and provided direct feedback to the network for the members.
5. Dr. Mughal sent his recommendation of the role of University of Sindh has played under the little “Building the Engaged University: Moving beyond the Ivory Tower: Civil role and Social Responsibilities
6. Madrid 2011 Conference Resolution called for civic engagement and social responsibilities as core commitments of our institutions of higher education to learn from each others best practices in furthering those commitments and to chart out collaborative efforts in these areas for the years ahead.
To this end, leaders of higher education have shared insight and further understanding on how higher education can play a leadership role in promoting civic and social participation by universities students, faculty, staff, alumni and community partners.
The final commitment made by the world education leaders of higher education at the Madrid International Conference advised the participants that “the world is a very different place then what it was a decade ago. Across the globe, the societies in which our institutions are situated are facing increased economic, civic and social challenges. Mobilizing their human and intellectual resources, institutions of higher education is directly tackling community problems- combating poverty, improving public health and restoring environmental quality. Brick by brick around the world, the engaged University is replacing the ivory tower.
The various speakers’ scholars and Presidents in their presentation stressed that our higher education institutions exist to serve and strengthen their societies through educating students, expanding access to education and development and application of new knowledge. Some scholars further affirmed that our institutions need to be active and engaged participants of our societies, grappling with the great challenges they face are the questions of the day. Our universities are obliged to foster sprit of social responsibilities and commitment to the common good among our students, faculty, staff, alumni and working partners so that they all can be effective leaders in collectively working to solve the difficult issues that beset our communities at every level. As a member of Madrid 2011. International Conference, we affirm that we all scholars, Vice Chancellors and Presidents of higher education institutions are partners with these communities in seeking new knowledge and we have responsibilities to contribute not only to the intelligence of our students, but also to their civic and social values in ways that help ensure they will be effective community leaders.
I may draw the personal conclusion that International Madrid Conference has enabled us to share best practices both in meeting specific undertaking set out in the Tallories Declaration of 2011, that is to seek to meet the objective and Mission of Talloires Net Work ___ International Conference of 2011 for example, learned from each other ways to enhance civil training of student, faculty and staff.
I hope University of Sindh will indulge in civic engagement and social responsibility program to benefit community as well as promote regional networks system which will become a cornerstone of University of Sindh’s efforts.
The civic engagements and community service introduced by me during my first tenure (1995-1999) subsequently became part of promotion, regularization and confirmation criteria of employees. University of Sindh is the first leader in Pakistan to emphasize the critical role of University to embrace the elements of community affairs. It was the vision and imperative need that I was able to insert the community service as the third criteria after teaching and research, for promotion and confirmation of the faculty and staff. Likewise, I introduced community service as a sacred duty of all employees of University of Sindh in their ACR of 2010 and 2011 for promotion and confirmation.
I therefore, urge all employees of University of Sindh to accept the change and adhere to new change which will transform our society to responsible, dedicated and efficient as well as humanitarian service which Islam has called for from true believers.
Thank you and I remain committed to transforming Sindh University as the best University of Asia, with your cooperation and support.
The Faculty of Social Sciences University of Sindh has published out its 8th volume of Research Journal of Social Sciecnes-2010.Monday, June 20th, 2011
The Faculty of Social Sciences University of Sindh has published out its 8th volume of Research Journal of Social Sciecnes-2010. In this current issue of journal, research articles on various issues i.e. the choice of work status among Malaysian women, a critical analysis of Government’s Poverty alleviation policies special focus to Pakistan, A sociological study of the Gender discrimination in rural areas of Sindh, Religious behavior in Iran, A sociological study of honour killing with special focus on rural areas of Sindh, School inspection and supervision : approaches and issues, The role of Universities in sustainable development with special focus on Pakistan, Strategies and remedies: a way to eliminate poverty and NFC award history and future perspectives for optical resource distribution in Pakistan are included. Dr. Nazir A .Mughal Vice Chancellor of the University who is a social science scholar is patron while Dr. Hamadullah Kakepoto Chairman of the department of Sociology is the Editor and Dr. Parveen Shah pro Vice Chancellor is Chief Editor of the research journal.