Archive for April, 2011
An “Interdepartmental Trilingual Debate Competition 2011 was held “ Under the auspices of Prof. Dr. Muhammad Qasim Bhughio(TI), Pro-Vice Chancellor, Sindh University Campus Mirpurkhas on April 23, 2011 at Sindh University Campus, Mirpurkhas.
The trilingual debate competition comprised English, Sindhi and Urdu languages in which the students of Business Administration Department, Department of Commerce, Department of Computer Science, Department of Information Technology and Department of Geology participated. The topics of the debate were:
- 1. Has Computer Technology affected the Book-reading? (English)
- 2. Farad Idare banate hen, ya idare farad peda karte hen? (Urdu)
- 3. Nojawan qoam je taqdeer tabdel kare saghan tha. (Sindhi)
Ambreen Khan, Sumbal Nisa and Memona Javed got first, second and third position respectively in English medium.
Mansoor Ali Kumbhar, Hamid Ali and Pervaish Kummar secured First, Second and third position respectively in Sindhi medium.
Sayad Jaweria, Muhammad Shahbaz and Tanzeem Ahmed secured First, Second and third position respectively in Urdu medium.
Professor Muhammad Tufail Chandio, Incharge Co-Curricular Activities, Sindh University Campus Mirpurkhas, organized the debate and encouraged the students for their participation.
Professor Hameeduallah Bhutto, Academic Coordinator also appreciated the painstaking efforts of the students who participated in the debate.
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Qasim Bughio (TI), Pro-vice Chancellor, Sindh University Campus, Mirpurkhas said that the co-curricular activities play pivotal role for capacity building, confidence, and character building of the students. He finally distributed trophies and the certificates of participation and made announcement of Essay, Music, Poetry Competition in future to promote co-curricular activities in the campus.
Muhammad Tufail Chandio
Media Coordinator & Incharge of Co-curricular Activities
Sindh University Campus, Mirpurkhas.
The University of Sindh has notified the names of a consultative committee formed in light of resolutions/ recommendations of all parties conference on save education for future of Sindh which was organized by the University on last Sunday April,17 at Hyderabad. The notification has been issued with the approval of the Vice Chancellor of the University here on Wednesday.
Prof.Dr. Parveen Shah Pro Vice Chancellor Sindh University Campus Jamshoro will work as convener of the consultative committee while Mr. Muhammad Ibraheem Joyo, Dr.Muhammad Suleman Shaikh, Mrs. Mehtab Akbar Rashidi, senior Advocate Jhamat Mal, Naz Sahito, Dr. Qamar Jahan Mirza, Prof.Muhammad Yousif Pardesi, Mr. Taj Joyo, Jami Chandio, Prof.Salma
Leghari, Prof.Arfana Mallah, Dr. Khalil Rehman Khumbhati, Prof.Ghulam Ali Jareko will be members of the committee and Abdul Majeed Panhwar Deputy Registrar will act as secretary of the committee. The committee will work for the formation of the Monitoring committee and
roadmap towards implementation of resolutions and recommendations of the conference. The first meeting of the consultative committee is scheduled to be held in the last week of this month.
The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has declared Sindh University Research Journal Science series in Y category.Thursday, April 21st, 2011
The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has declared Sindh University Research Journal Science series in Y category in letter issued by the HEC. In HEC letter received by Executive Editor of the Research Journal and noted Scientists Dr. Muhammad Yar Khuhawer informed that the Journal was presented before the experts committee for evaluation of Multi Disciplinary Journals for the recognition and evaluation. The committee has evaluated the journal in detail and the subject Journal has been recommended for up gradation from Z to Y category. In the letter of HEC also informed that subject Journal has been recognized by HEC in Y category up to 30th June 2013 however the soft review of the Journal will be made every year.
The Governor of Sindh, Dr.Ishratul Ebad Khan respected with floral wreath and offered fateha at the mausoleum of noted scholar Late Dr.N.A Baloch at Sindh University’s Allama I.I.Kazi Campus Jamshoro.Wednesday, April 20th, 2011
The Governor of Sindh who is also Chancellor of the University of Sindh, Dr.Ishratul Ebad Khan here on Saturday respected with floral wreath and offered fateha at the mausoleum of noted scholar Late Dr.N.A Baloch at Sindh University’s Allama I.I.Kazi Campus Jamshoro.
The Vice Chancellor University of Sindh Prof.Dr.Nazir A.Mughal, Pro Vice Chancellor Sindh University Campus Jamshoro Dr. Parveen Shah, Deans of the Faculties, heads of the Teaching Institutes and Departments and Officers were also present on the occasion.
The Governor of Sindh accompanied to Vice Chancellor of the University also offered Fateha at the Mausoleum of Allama I.I.Kazi and Elsa Kazi.
All Parties Conference Held on 17-04-2011 at Hotel Indus Hyderabad by University of Sindh, Jamshoro.Wednesday, April 20th, 2011
The participants of “All Parties Conference on Save Education for Future of Sindh” organized by the University of Sindh on Sunday at Hyderabad has agreed for the concrete efforts towards making the University campus a Weaponfree zone and resolved in interest of students no political party or group for any kind of boycott of classes or examinations. The conference was attended by leaders and representatives of all major parties of Sindh, noted intellectuals, educationists, social workers, members of civil society, journalists of leading newspapers and TV channels and University academia.
The Conference was presided over by Vice Chancellor of the University Professor Dr. Nazir A. Mughal. Before starting of formal proceedings of the conference a separate session was also held with the political leaders and intellectuals to evolve the consensus over the facing burning issues over the campus.
The Vice Chancellor briefed the session about the problems which face by the University day to day and also present a report of incidents, boycotts and sit in protests and said that due to number of students wings of various parties creates disturbances on their non issues. The political parties leaders and intellectuals expressing their views agreed with the agenda of the conference and expressed their concern over the growing incidents of violence over the campus. They also showed their commitment to extend their cooperation with the University administration to eliminate the violence over the campus.
Sindh University Vice Chancellor while speaking in formal session of the conference gave a detailed account of the incidents of violence of last three year took place at the campus and said that only few number of students who belong to various political parties creates disturbance in on going academic process specially during admissions and examinations.
The Vice Chancellor said that presently the University has been identified with boycott culture and parents are hesitating to send their children for education. He said that due to competition among the political wings for membership and other petty benefits a handful number of political activists have hijacked a huge majority of peaceful students who are interested only in education. He called to political parties and civil society to play their due role to evolve a conducive environment for imparting quality education and restoration of peace at the campus on sustainable basis. The Vice Chancellor also announced that issue of restoration of students union at the University will moved to syndicate and then to Chancellor for its approval.
Speaking on this occasion Mr.Taj Haider said that a political will is inevitable for achieving the goals for education and research in the society. He said that academia has also equal responsibility to compose the positive environment for the education. He said that unfortunately a sizeable number of highlighly qualified teachers are not serious towards their academic responsibilities. He further said that creativity can not be flourished in a restricted atmosphere instead academic freedom and healthy activities and
enlightening thinking is only the way to make the institutions producing citizens with high moral. Mr. Rasool Bux Palijo speaking on this occasion appreciated the efforts of
the University of Sindh for elimination of violence and boycott culture over the campuses and assured his full support to the University administration in this regard.
Mr. Muhammad Ibraheem Joyo said that the pen and book are more powerful weapons than others. The time has come for the students to think and adopt these weapons to achieve set targets in the world of competition. He said that we should strive not only to save the education but also work for improvement and development. He suggested that students union be restored and students politics at University level be converted into healthy politics. Quoting the past events in same regard, Mrs. Mahtab Akbar Rashdi said that the success of this type of conferences lies only in the implementation of resolutions in true spirit. We must think over the education and future of our young generation and added that let us start new chapter of history in education by forgetting our differences and draw road map for future generations. She also stressed the University authorities to concentrate the students basic problems and provide them maximum facilities for the education and
co curricular activities.
Syed Jalal Mahmood Shah also appreciated the University for holding this important conference said that merit should be only criteria before University authorities deal with all the matters from admission to appointments. He assured the University that his party will fully cooperate creating a better academic environment over the campuses.
Dr. Muhammad Suleman Shaikh while highlighting students politics from 1961 said that we must learn from the loss of innocent lives and precious lives of the students and make joint efforts for deweaponsing the University. Mr. Jami Chandio congratulated the University administration and said that this conference is an historical event and proposed a committee consisting of daring men to work for implementation of recommendations of the conference. He said that there is spirit in the society and added time has come that we must work for education jointly. Dr. Safdar Sarki said that the University has invited us on a vital issue and added that save education for me is to save the society. He said that Sindh is main productive in the education sector and people of the province have earned name by serving the society. Ayaz Latif Palejo said it is first time that a joint census has been developed for the education and peace in the campus. He appreciated University Vice Chancellor for holding conference on such important issue. He said that we must support the cause of education instead of those who had been involved in destruction of education. He said that we must own our University and not only in the interest of the University students but also in the interest of 5 crore population of Sindh.
Advocate Jhmat Mal strongly opposing the students politics at the campus and stressed the need on implementation of rules and regulation in strict manner. He requested the politicians to not encourage politics in the Universities. He proposed that the University should empower its heads of the teaching institutes and departments. Mr. Naz Sahito also talked about good governance in the Universities and intermediate board and said that de-weaponization of campus is most important for the peace in the University. He proposed that ban on display of banners and pamphlets at the campus and added that we must develop mechanism to adopt a process for sustainable peace. Mir Alam Maree appreciated efforts of the University and added that future of the nations depends on the education. He said that the only students are not responsible but many other factors are also involved for disturbances in educational institutes. He assured the cooperation for peace at the campus and proposed restoration of students unions. Dr. Niaz Kalani while supported Weaponfree zone the campus and opposed the boycott culture and said that the University should allocate a space for display of the demands by the students. Dr.Qadir Magsi who attended the first session of the conference expressing his views lauded efforts of the University and extended his cooperation. Prof. Aijaz Qureshi Ibrar Kazi, Zulfiqar Halepoto, Niaz Kalani, Riaz Chandio, Bangal Channa (SB), Shafee Karnani, Abdul Ghafoor Siyal, Muhammad Ayoob Shar, Naand Malhi and others expressed their views.
A consultative committee was also constituted which includes Mr. Muhammad Ibraheem Joyo, Dr.Muhammad Suleman Shaikh, Mrs. Mahtab Akbar Rashidi, Dr. Parveen Shah, Taj Joyo, Jami Chandio, Mr. Naz Sahito, Dr. Khalil Rehman Khumbhati, Dr.Qamar Jahan Mirza, Advocate Jhamat Mal, Prof. Ghulam Ali Jareko The committee will work for formation of monitoring committee for implementations of the resolutions of the conference.
The conference passed the following resolutions:
1. It was resolved that all the political leaders and other concerned individuals shall sincerely work for the betterment of academic activities at University.
2. Resolved that all the concerned would ensure smooth running of classes, exams and other academic activities.
3. Resolved that, in the best interest of the students, no political party or group would go for any kind of boycott of classes or exams etc.
4. Resolved that all political posters, slogans, flags and banners displayed at various places in the University premises shall be immediately removed voluntarily.
5. Resolved that no political slogans would be chanted or no political posters would be displayed or pasted within the premises of main campus of the University and its other campuses.
6. Resolved that no political processions shall be carried out within the University premises – institutions, centers, hostels and administration offices, where as lectures for political training can be arranged.
7. Resolved that no students would be allowed to keep or exhibit any kind of weapons on the campus or in hostels.
8. Resolved that all hostel rules and regulations enforced and mentioned in the Affidavit already submitted by the students at the time of admission would be 100% followed by all the students in letter and spirit.
9. Resolved that all political leaders would refrain from indulging into University matters but may be consulted with the University authorities on any particular issue.
10. Resolved that no political party would support or encourage their student wings for the activities other than academic on the campus, Political activity can be carried out outside the academic institution.
11. Resolved that no individuals or political groups shall neither demand nor interfere in admission process in the University on the ground of their political affiliation.
12. Resolved that no individuals or political groups shall demand or occupy rooms in hostels on the ground of their political affiliation and also resolved that the hostel rooms already occupied by the student wings would be evacuated immediately, in this regard political parties will extend their cooperation.
13. Resolved that no student in any case shall attempt to damage any University property including buildings, equipments, infrastructure, vehicles etc.
14. Resolved that the ex-students shall not be allowed to remain on the campus whose presence on the campus may cause conflict, clash and in cohesion among the students.
15. Resolved that no individuals or groups shall attempt for collection from other fellow students for any donations to arrange functions, picnics or any other activity etc, where as regarding Co curricular and Cultural activities the administration will make such arrangements.
16. Resolved that no political parties shall ask their student wings to hold elections or to make selections of their party office bearers and student membership at any levels such as University Campus, Faculties, Departments, Institutes, and Hostels.
17. Resolved that all the student groups shall refrain from staging sit-in (dharna) and blocking point busses for getting their undue and illegal demands, accepted.
18. Resolved that in case of breach of any of the above said resolutions the student would be strictly dealt with according to the pledge mentioned in the affidavit submitted by the student at the time of admission and rules and regulations of University, and in such case no political party or individual would seek to pressurize University authorities in favour of such student.
19. Resolved that the students shall not incite as stage a walkout, strike or any procession in the University campus/ hostel/ examination halls, disturbing the peaceful atmosphere and smooth running of the classes etc.
20. Resolved that students union be revived.
21. Resolved that their should constant check and balance on responsibility of the administrations and teachers of the University.
22. Resolved that a certain percentage of attendance be maintained by the students to appear in the examinations.
23. Power Should be de centralized deans and heads of institutes and Departments
24. Government must increase the budget for education.
25. Teacher & Student continually maintain conducive atmosphere in their parent University and teachers will not serve in private organization during their working hours.
26. New Educational Methods and trends be introduced to the academic system.
27. New subject of anger management be introduce in the University in relevant Departments
28. Resolved that a Monitoring committee be formed comprising of the members from civil society, political parties and University representative in order to observe the implementation of the recommendations/resolutions passed in the conference. The committee may meet on monthly/bimonthly basis to publicly report on the progress of
29. This Conference Should not be confined only to a one day event, rather it should be insured to follow to recommendation so that peace may prevail on the campuses by acting upon a given code of conduct.
30. following the consideration of this house a consultation body be formed to frame the code of conduct for the propos monitoring committee with immediate effect