University of Sindh is the second oldest University of Pakistan. Botany and Mathematics were the first science subjects in which the postgraduate teaching was started in the University of Sindh in 1954.
Mr. S.W.S. Qadri, then Professor of Botany at the Government College Hyderabad was commissioned by the University to do the teaching and only 4 students took admission. By the grace of Allah, now more than 400 students are studying at the Institute of Botany now upgraded as Institute of Plant Sciences since 2008.
The faculty includes 01 Emeritus Professor, 02 Professor, 01 Associate Professors, 06 Assistant Professors, 07 Lecturers and 01 Curator-Cum-Lecturer. The Institute has well equipped Laboratories, Herbarium, Arboretum and two small Botanical Gardens.
The institute has introduced M.Phil. /Ph.D. program since 1965. After the Chemistry, Botany is second awarding M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in Science Faculty. So far many scholars have obtained their M.Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in Botany. More than 290 research articles have been published in the National and International Journals by the faculty members and they have also produced more than 14 Ph.D. and 32 MS/M.Phil. scholars in the field of Botany. The institute is committed to provide advance knowledge about plants to the society and students at large.
The Institute of Plant Sciences offers program leading to the Bachelor of Science / Master of Science and Masters of Philosophy and the Doctor of Philosophy degree in a variety of special areas including Plant Taxonomy, Physiology, Phycology, Mycology and Plant Pathology, Genetics, Paleobotany, Ecology & Environmental Studies. 4-year Forestry degree is being introduced as Evening program from 2010 session, besides Postgraduate Diploma in Medicinal Plants.
Students are urged to take courses which provide a broad background in Botany as well as in the Natural Science, in addition to the training in special areas.