The Department of Microbiology was established in 1995-96 to develop indigenous manpower experts in the field of Microbiology in order to increase the employability in the field of clinical, industrial, environmental and molecular microbiology. Currently this department is running in its own building since 2008. It offers BS four years program, MS / M.Phil. program and in coming future Ph. D. program with the aims to have graduates high knowledge and research abilities and to promote them in private sectors, government organizations in order to develop the manpower with high technology, to organize interdisciplinary discussions, developing research networks and to facilitate the latest technical information pertaining to the emergence of infectious diseases, laboratory bio-safety and the self preventive measures from the hazardous agents.
Microbiology is an exceptionally broad discipline encompassing specialties. This department has four laboratories for the BS students and one research laboratory for postgraduate program. All equipment and facilities are available to students and researchers. Having a huge space, it possesses six class rooms where 120 students in each can be accommodated, one air-conditioned computer laboratory, two multimedia rooms and a large auditorium and a seminar library. The learning process at the department is a blend of lectures and practical demonstrations, presentations, assignments, group tasks, research projects, study tours, internships in various pathological laboratories, industries etc. independent studies in the departmental seminar library and the use of computers. The efforts have been made by the Department of Microbiology for collaborative research with the co-guidance of various professors and scientists of different universities and research institutions for MS / M.Phil. and Ph.D. program in Microbiology to bridge the gap between the other institutes of region and other provinces in Pakistan in the field of clinical, industrial, molecular biology, genetics and biotechnology and to initiate various research projects. The principal areas of research are. .
- Screening of vancomycin resistant MRSA and its molecular characterization.
- Isolation, Identification of antibiotic resistance among the gram negative bacteria.
- Studies on molecular characterization of antibiotic resistant genes and mechanism of resistance development.
- Physico-chemical analysis of fresh water, river water and industrial sludge and its bioremediation.
- Characterization of biofilm making gram positive and gram negative bacteria.
- Microbial production of enzymes and antimicrobial agents.
- Production of novel antimicrobial compounds from plant extracts.
- Production of bioethanol, biodiesel and other organic solvents and probiotics.
- Biodegradation of oil and other compounds e.g. pesticides.
- Molecular identification of the microorganisms from various clinical specimens.
- Use of nanoparticles as antibacterial agent.
- Isolation, identification of food fermenting microorganisms from soil.
- Comparative study of Salmonella Typhi in different age groups at Hyderabad.
- Investigation pattern of biofilm formation among bacteria causing urinary tract infection in Hyderabad, Pakistan.
- Screening for bacteriocin producers and biofilm formers among bacterial isolates of water samples from Hyderabad-Pakistan.
- Serum markers and their correlation in early diagnosis of Hepatitis-C associated liver disease.
- Prevalence and characterization of multi-drug resistant Escherichia coli, causing urinary tract infections, Hyderabad, Pakistan.
- Occurrence, characterization, and Antibiotic susceptibility pattern of Salmonella entricaserovers Typhi and Paratyphi, Hyderabad, Sindh.